Friday, June 17, 2011

Five Thousand Miles

On June 21st, 2010 I started recording my daily rides to work at mapmytracks.com. Today, June 17th, 2011 I approach one year of recording my rides on my GPS.
5000
 Tomorrow I will ride in a charity event that will take me 62 miles if all goes as planned. That will put me over 5000 miles for the year on my bikes, Ralph and No-name. Something about that nice round number feels good. But what really impresses me about the distance is when I map it using GPS visualizer, I realize all the places I could have made it to if there were a direct bike route between us.


Places such as Timboktu, Mali. I could have traveled to Santiago, Chile. Most of Siberia is covered by my range. Granted most of my travels were to and from work, but imagining all the places that a year of part-time biking could deliver me is pretty impressive when you consider how massive the earth is.

1 comment:

TrevorW�� said...

5000 miles is a great round number.....well done.!!

-Trevor